Saturday, February 25, 2012

RS Course 2030A, Creating Reporting Solutions - AdventureWorksDW

I am trying to review my course, but I can't get a particular db set up,
that's on the CD. RS came with AdventureWorks2000, but the course used
AdventureWorksDW, for which there's an .mdf, but when I create a new db, all
I get are the sys files.
How to I set up this database? All I see on the course disk is the .mdf, an
.sql to build it, and a bat file to run the setup. But being a programmer
only, with no experience in RS, except the intro course, which had all files
already installed on the training workstations and server, I can't put this
together.
Details:
The course book starts with a report on AdventureWorksDW.
The book comes with a CD with a db shell on it, plus a .sql to build the
objects, plus a .bat file containing:
isql.exe -i adventureworks.sql -E
isql.exe -i executionLog.sql -E
I did set up the database in my Enterprise Mgr, but it is just the sys files.
I tried executing the .bat, which uses the .sql.
I also tried running the sql from qry analyzer, but both tries failed.
I do not know how to get the tables built other than copying the .sql into
qry analyzer. I believe the error was that the server did not exist was not
available.
My server is my local machine, using its computer Name.
I was able to connect to an existing sql database on my machine.
--
MichaelMI believe you may also run the SQL 2005 samples install to get the
AdventureWorksDW, the DW is for Data Warehouse. If you have the following
folder you may run the sql scipt to create and populate the database.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Data
Warehouse
"Michael Miller" <MichaelMiller@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FE5DA31D-F83B-46A8-9FC1-B1B51F1606D7@.microsoft.com...
>I am trying to review my course, but I can't get a particular db set up,
> that's on the CD. RS came with AdventureWorks2000, but the course used
> AdventureWorksDW, for which there's an .mdf, but when I create a new db,
> all
> I get are the sys files.
> How to I set up this database? All I see on the course disk is the .mdf,
> an
> .sql to build it, and a bat file to run the setup. But being a programmer
> only, with no experience in RS, except the intro course, which had all
> files
> already installed on the training workstations and server, I can't put
> this
> together.
> Details:
> The course book starts with a report on AdventureWorksDW.
> The book comes with a CD with a db shell on it, plus a .sql to build the
> objects, plus a .bat file containing:
> isql.exe -i adventureworks.sql -E
> isql.exe -i executionLog.sql -E
> I did set up the database in my Enterprise Mgr, but it is just the sys
> files.
> I tried executing the .bat, which uses the .sql.
> I also tried running the sql from qry analyzer, but both tries failed.
> I do not know how to get the tables built other than copying the .sql into
> qry analyzer. I believe the error was that the server did not exist was
> not
> available.
> My server is my local machine, using its computer Name.
> I was able to connect to an existing sql database on my machine.
> --
> MichaelM|||Has been resolved. I found DW on the web and figured out from various
instructions, how to attach the DW.mdf to my existing SqlDB. It worked for
the first demo. Don't know if it will work for all exercises, but it is a
start.
See ***MDM-Below:
--
MichaelM
"Steve MunLeeuw" wrote:
> I believe you may also run the SQL 2005 samples install to get the
> AdventureWorksDW, the DW is for Data Warehouse.
***MDM-Sorry, forgot to tell you that's it's SQL 2000 and RS 2000.
<RS came with AdventureWorks2000>
If you have the following
> folder you may run the sql scipt to create and populate the database.
> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Samples\AdventureWorks Data
> Warehouse
***MDM-I don't
>
> "Michael Miller" <MichaelMiller@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FE5DA31D-F83B-46A8-9FC1-B1B51F1606D7@.microsoft.com...
> >I am trying to review my course, but I can't get a particular db set up,
> > that's on the CD. RS came with AdventureWorks2000, but the course used
> > AdventureWorksDW, for which there's an .mdf, but when I create a new db,
> > all
> > I get are the sys files.
> >
> > How to I set up this database? All I see on the course disk is the .mdf,
> > an
> > .sql to build it, and a bat file to run the setup. But being a programmer
> > only, with no experience in RS, except the intro course, which had all
> > files
> > already installed on the training workstations and server, I can't put
> > this
> > together.
> >
> > Details:
> > The course book starts with a report on AdventureWorksDW.
> > The book comes with a CD with a db shell on it, plus a .sql to build the
> > objects, plus a .bat file containing:
> > isql.exe -i adventureworks.sql -E
> > isql.exe -i executionLog.sql -E
> >
> > I did set up the database in my Enterprise Mgr, but it is just the sys
> > files.
> > I tried executing the .bat, which uses the .sql.
> > I also tried running the sql from qry analyzer, but both tries failed.
> > I do not know how to get the tables built other than copying the .sql into
> > qry analyzer. I believe the error was that the server did not exist was
> > not
> > available.
> > My server is my local machine, using its computer Name.
> >
> > I was able to connect to an existing sql database on my machine.
> > --
> > MichaelM
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment