Saturday, February 25, 2012

RS architecture

Hi ,
I need to use a RS 2005 on a web farm ,
displaing the reports as part of my web application,
connected to asingle SS 2005.
Do I need to install RS on every web server ?
Do I need to pay for every instanse installed on the web farm ?
10x,
Liz.For a web farm you need license for SQL Server Enterprise Edition on each
web server and on the SQL Server Database. RS is a asp.net application that
uses SQL Server database as an object store (all reports, subscriptions, etc
are stored in the database).
Now, if you want to have a web farm that uses either URL integration or web
services to integrate with RS then you could have your application on a web
farm and RS on a single server (either the server with your database or on a
IIS box). Anyplace RS is installed you need a license. If you integrated
your app with RS and you have RS installed only on a single box then you
could use either standard or enterprise edition. A good link to check out:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2000/technologies/rptsvcs.mspx
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Liz Matyas" <lizmts@.mail.com> wrote in message
news:eAG6BAcpFHA.2444@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi ,
> I need to use a RS 2005 on a web farm ,
> displaing the reports as part of my web application,
> connected to asingle SS 2005.
> Do I need to install RS on every web server ?
> Do I need to pay for every instanse installed on the web farm ?
> 10x,
> Liz.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment