Tuesday, February 21, 2012

RS 2005, VS 2005 and specifying printer trays

I am trying to build a demo to prove the following can be done with SQL 2005 Reporting Services:

1. Export report as .pdf to file location. - Done

2. Use CSLA business objects with Reporting Services to reuse the object's ability to populate itself. - Done

3. Set certain reports to print from certain trays on a specific printer. More specifically, for a certain report, I need the first page to print from Tray 1 and all remaining pages to print from Tray 2.

This is the task I am having problems with. I am trying to just get the tray selection working now with just a windows app but even if I get that far, will I need to extend RS and write my own print routine? Also, if this report is served to the client via URL, will I be able to specify the printer and tray or will I need a print server to handle this?

Thanks.

I have had luck with using ABCPDF for PDF manipulation.

http://www.websupergoo.com/

You could create two separate printers with different default trays and then print the first page to one printer, and the rest to another.

Bryan has a good article on printing from Reporting Services:
http://blogs.msdn.com/bryanke/articles/71491.aspx|||Unfortunately, this solution does not work for me. I am printing Optical Recognition Marks on the pages as they are printed so they need to come off the same printer so they are in the proper order to go into the feeder.

No comments:

Post a Comment